Day at the Museum
Dear Kim...
On the last day of Valdo's recent visit, we went to the Natural History Museum for my annual trip to The Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition...
The photographer wanted to 'create an image that captures (elephants) special energy and the state of consciousness that I sense when I'm with them... to depict these gentle giants in an almost ghostly way'. Which I think he has absolutely achieved. But however striking an image it is, it's a little too stylized for my taste. Below are a selection of mine and Valdo's favourite photos...
The winner of the Animals in their Environment category: The Water Bear.
When I first stood before this photo, it took me a little while to notice the bear - almost made me jump when it finally materialised out of the depths; rather ghost-like and other-worldly...
And from the same category, the comical: Sharing a Shower.
The lions look totally peeved - you could add speech bubbles to this one, dotted with the odd four letter word. Gazing at it gave me those feelings that would overcome me when we'd watch Frozen Planet together - when I'd fantasise about meddling with all that animal behaviour - popping hats & scarfs on the suffering nesting penguins, or letting them take shelter in my expedition tent, or being lowered on a rope from a helicopter and winching up the seal-pup from the clutches of those brutes; the killer whale posse. In the photo above I'm itching to pop a sou'wester on each of their heads, or one of those umbrellas hats...
One of Valdo's favourites: Sockeye Catch.
A brown bear pouncing on a female salmon 'swollen with roe, the force sending a string of crimson eggs spinning out of her body'. Salmon sashimi and cavier - what a feast! The movement captured in this photo is incredible; the ferocious shaking of the bears head, the death throes and thrashing tail of the salmon, the swoosh of water and the ejaculation of salmon eggs - incredible! And although the salmon's life is almost at an end, there is hope in that jet of eggs...
On a similar note, I loved the following: Pearls of Spring
The threaded black pearls of the toad spawn looks almost decadent; an underwater amphibian burlesque act. The photographer wrote that whilst photographing the pond boiling with mating toads, he 'rejoiced in the spring sunlight and the sounds of frogs, toads and running water - all somehow reassuring after the long winter'.
The ethereal loveliness of Simplicity was my favourite in the Botanical Realms Category...
The photographer wished to create 'bokeh' - a Japanese word for the aesthetic quality of the out-of-focus points of light. And I reckon Gabriel unwittingly created bokeh when photographing his dad on our recent trip to Tower Hamlets Cemetery!
A joint favourite of ours: Twin Hope
They are only the fifth set of twins ever to be reported in Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park. The 6 month old twins wrapped in their mother's strong protective embrace made me feel all gooey inside.
And my personal overall favourite: True Love
Northern gannets show impressive devotion to each other, pairing for life and returning to the same nest site each year to breed. The photographer wrote, 'Many times I have seen a male offer a female a gift such as a feather or a blade of grass. But on this occasion I was amazed to see the male give his partner a necklace of red campion!' His aim was to 'create a composition that would reflect the devotion & tenderness between the pair'. Awwwh, their chests pressed tightly together, the heart-shape created by their bowed heads - and the fact that he's brought her jewelry and flowers all-in-one, (genius!) brought a wee tear to my eye...
And I think your recent photo of those adorable canines in your current home is worthy of inclusion. :) I especially love the upright ear flattened against the chair arm... It's a winner, Kim!










No comments:
Post a Comment